WEAC Region 6 members are encouraged to explore the professional and financial benefits of National Board Certification and the support the union can provide to National Board candidates. A National Board for Professional Teaching Standards support workshop is led by Region 6 member Lyman Elliot from the Beloit Education Association and meets monthly in the WEAC Region 6 building in Madison, and it is not too late to join.
The benefits of National Board certification include:
- Reimbursement of costs ($2,000)
- Annual Wisconsin stipend ($2,500-$5,000)
- Most school districts provide wage increases or stipends for teachers who are National Board certified
- License portability between states
- Ten-year Wisconsin Master Educator License
Union support for National Board candidates includes:
- Informational sessions throughout Wisconsin
- Individual coaching
- Access to NEA Jump Start curriculum
- Assignment of personal mentor
- Regular candidate support sessions
- Access to the expertise of NBCT union members
The next meeting is Wednesday, December 14, at 5:00 at the Region 6 offices, 33 Nob Hill Road, Madison.